[thelist] What is DOM?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 05:25:01 CST 2002

>Hello Experts,
>I have read about DOM at many places but too much complex technical
>language has always been an obstacle in my way to learn about DOM. Can
>somebody tell me what DOM really is?

For a history and short, simple description see
http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2001-5.shtml

>How can it be important for web development?

You want to access an HTML element, a form field, a layer, a paragraph. This
can only be done through some sort of Document Object Model.

>To which extent is it necessary for web developer to learn
>about DOM?

Very necessary. You *must* know the basics (but anyone who's ever used
document.images or document.forms already knows the basics).

ppk