[thelist] Advice needed for setting up making donations on line

Kristy Frey kristenannfrey at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 07:56:00 CST 2002

> Does any one have any experience of taking donations for charity on
> line?

I designed and currently maintain 4 different web sites that take online donations/membership
payments for the University at Buffalo.

> Aside from the usual on line payment such as verisign etc  does any one
> know of any company or product that can be used for making donations. Is
> there anyone who does this without taking a big percentage on
> commission? Any leads / advice would be appreciated.

There is a hefty cost associated with it though (Merchant account fees, Authorize.net fees...)

I do know that PayPal has some nice features for Donation Web sites.  Many people knock them, but
for the initial startup, I think they are a good place to start.  You could contact them to see if
they will give your site a break on the fees (you are a charity after all).

=====