[thelist] Word to HTML

Webmaster webmaster at archetype-it.com
Thu Feb 21 07:56:19 CST 2002

At 10:39 21/02/2002 +0100, I wrote:
>I went hunting for this on MS's site ... it took a while, so to save
>others' time here's the URL I eventually found:
>
>http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx
>
>I assume this is what you were referring to Allie? I've downloaded it but
>haven't tried it yet.

Now I have, and I'm underwhelmed. I tested it on a reasonably
straightforward Word document of 190Kb (it had a large image in it). Word's
"normal" HTML save resulted in a file of almost 500Kb (excluding the image
of course!) The "compact" version was a mere ... 270Kb! It still had pages
and pages of all those MsoNormal styles in the head section. Conclusion:
just stay away! Both Dreamweaver and HTML-Tidy do a better job of cleaning
up Word HTML than that.

HTH

Veronica Yuill         mailto:veronicay at archetype-it.com
-- "Avant d'être simple, tout est difficile" --