[thelist] access db on UNIX?

Nicole Parrot nicole at parrot.ca
Thu Feb 21 09:45:01 CST 2002

From: "Scarlett Julian (ED)" <Julian.Scarlett at sheffield.gov.uk>

> Sorry -  to clarify. If I have an asp page on a UNIX server I can make an
> ODBC connection to an mdb file residing on that same server and return a
> recordset. Correct? Providing of course that there is some form of asp
> installed on the server ;-)

Nope. Access is totally indepedent of ASP. It doesn't matter if you have ASP
installed on the Unix server. Access will not run on it.
What *could* make Access run on a *nix box is a Windows Emulator, and I
don't know if there is any for Unix.

What you *can* do is run your ASP pages on Unix via Chilisoft, and use ODBC
to connect to your access database which would run on a Windows machine.

Access is a compiled program, to the same extent as Microsoft Word. And you
can't run Microsoft Word on a *nix box, right?