[thelist] Client asked for original files

BreezyGraphics at aol.com BreezyGraphics at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 18:15:01 CST 2002

In a message dated 2/21/02 1:13:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Judah McAuley
writes:

I disagree. When working as a developer, I always make sure that the
client gets a copy of the code (if they want it) regardless of whether
I'm a contractor or working for a company.  The code is necessary to
keep things working correctly if the business relationship ends.  I feel
that its very important to make sure, up front, that the client knows
that they are going to get a solution that will not only work for them
now, but will also be sustainable if the business relationship ends.

To that end, I also always make sure that I get PSD's with a font list
for every design I get from designers.  If the business relationship
sours, then I still need to be able to change text on navigation bars,
re-cut a fixed-width design so that its fluid, etc.

A solution yes, but ownership of source code is a different cake your chewing
on. Microsoft and other software companies allow you use of their product but
do not give up the source code.
Flash is an object oriented contraption. There is not enough money for me to
give up ownership of some things that I have created. Some of these no one
has thought of, which gives me an edge on competitors. Now why would I give
up my secret recipe? Eat the chicken, but you don't get the recipe! If you
HAVE to have a recipe, go eat at that place with the grease all over it.
If you buy a radio do you get ownership of the design? No! or a car or a suit
or a....... Breezy.