[thelist] Site problem w/ Mac OS 8 & IE 4.5

Shaun Anderson shaunanderson at shaunanderson.info
Thu Feb 21 18:35:01 CST 2002

> It appears that IE 4.5 is the culprit and not the OS 8.

Yep, now that I've got IE 4.5 installed I can replicate the problem. (Until
we were sure it was 4.5 and not 8.6 they didn't want to let me upgrade from
4.0 to 4.5 :-( )

So now I need the help of the JavaScript experts.  This code works on IE
4.0.1 on the Mac (OS 8.6) and on IE 5.1 on OS X.  It also works on several
versions of Opera (5, 6), IE (4, 5, 5.5, 6) and Netscape (4.73, 6.X) for the
PC.

Could this be an issue with 4.5 & JavaScript?  I suspect this because the
code works with an earlier and a later version of the browser.

If not, here is the code that's causing the problem:

<snip>
var radioSelected = false;

  for (i = 0;  i < theForm.PACKAGEK12gift.length;  i++)
  {
    if (theForm.PACKAGEK12gift[i].checked)
        radioSelected = true;
  }

  if (!radioSelected)
  {
    alert("Please select one of the \"Information Package\" options.");
    return (false);
  }

  var radioSelected = false;
  for (i = 0;  i < theForm.QUESTIONOnsiteDemo.length;  i++)
  {
    if (theForm.QUESTIONOnsiteDemo[i].checked)
        radioSelected = true;
  }
  if (!radioSelected)
  {
    alert("Please select one of the \"OnsiteDemo\" options.");
    return (false);
  }

  var radioSelected = false;
  for (i = 0;  i < theForm.QUESTIONEmailUpdates.length;  i++)
  {
    if (theForm.QUESTIONEmailUpdates[i].checked)
        radioSelected = true;
  }
  if (!radioSelected)
  {
    alert("Please select one of the \"EmailUpdates\" options.");
    return (false);
  }
</snip>

The full JS is pretty long.  If you need to view the rest of it it's at
http://www.smarttech.com/case.

> Another thing to note - zip code is not marked required (*) but is
included
> in the validation.

It's only required if you choose US or Canada.  I know it's not exactly
intuitive, but it's a battle that I lost...

Thanks again,
Shaun