[thelist] OT - Software based USB port testers?

cdj chris at fuzzylizard.com
Thu Feb 21 22:46:00 CST 2002

Hello,

Sorry for this off topic post but I am having a small problem here and
was hoping that the groups combined expertise might be able to offer
some advice on it.

I have two USB ports on my computer, neither of which seem to be
functioning properly. I have a printer attached to one and halfway
through the print job the print driver will lose the printer. Under
Linux (Dual boot) it cannot even print to the printer although it
recognizes that it is there and attached to the port. On the other USB
port I have a scanner attached that will just stop half way through a
scan, or preview, as if I had disconnected it.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers for both of these devices and I
have contacted Epson support regarding the printer. Due to the problems
that I am having in both Linux and windows, I am becoming more and more
confident that this is a hardware problem.

Therefore, my question is, are there any software based USB port testers
out there that I could download that would help me to accurately
diagnose what is wrong with my computer?

Please contact me off list with any suggestion so we do not clutter up
everyone's inboxes. (Is there someway of automatically doing by simply
hitting the reply key??? I can't figure it out.)

Thank you.

And now for a tip.
<tip type="windows networking" author="Chris Jonnston">
Generally, the number one reasons that two windows 9x machines cannot
see one another on a home network are either that they are on different
workgroups or that the NetBEUI protocol is not installed. The next most
common problem with getting win9x machines working properly is that once
you can see the other machines on the network you can not access
anything on either machine. This is because people have forgotten to
share a drive.
</tip>

/chris