[thelist] Hosting and DNS Registrations

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 11:57:01 CST 2002

For liability reasons, if I were you, I would insist that the client
register their own domain.  Say that you'd be glad to assist them, and even
provide detailed instructions for how they would go to the registrar of your
choice and be able to register their domain.  BUT, do not do it for them.

Reasons for this:

1. It often costs more money to transfer the domain than to actually
purchase it.
2. Until you transfer the domain, you're easily liable for everything that
occurs under the name of that domain.
3. Clients appreciate honesty.  And they'll appreciate it even more when you
provide them with easy to follow instructions.
(any notice that I like using lists?  *chuckle*)

I'm also a big fan of www.godaddy.com for my registrar, but for ease of use,
www.domainsite.com has got them beat.  I've used both and would highly
recommend either.  DomainSite's customer support is much better (usually
same-day turnaround by email), but GoDaddy's tools are much better.  What I
usually do is refer my clients to DomainSite and use GoDaddy for myself.

I hope this helps,

David
www.confluentforms.com