[thelist] OT: Slower Modems,does it matter? yes

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Fri Feb 22 18:29:00 CST 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Brian King wrote:

> Some proven methods of working with the range of bandwidths:
> Allow the 56K users to skip the fat content with a prompt.
> Give a warning about fat content prior to page navigation.
> Post two versions of your content.  One for high and one for low connection
> speeds.

It occurs to me along the lines of the first of those items, that it
should be possible to test for bandwidth using straight JavaScript via the
Date object, or using a hidden form that contacts the server when an
element of the presentation downloads (or perhaps the entire page, if you
know its overall weight).

Rewriting links accordingly can be done in about eight or ten (short)
lines.

It stands to reason that JavaScript-disabled users would be taken straight
to the lightweight content - I'd be willing to hazard that for most of
them the disabling of JavaScript was done either on principle or as a
result of workplace infosec policy.

Likewise, if the user clicks to get out before the throughput evaluation
is complete, they're probably in enough of a hurry that they want the
lightweight content.

Any feedback on this idea?

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."