[thelist] Flash: 3 movies in 1

Michael Galvin mpgalvin at eircom.net
Sat Feb 23 13:29:13 CST 2002

I've been asked to create a presentation template for my boss (we had a bit
of a disaster with Powerpoint, and so we're moving to Flash.  Um.), so what
I've done is put together 3 different movies.  The first one is an
introduction to our company, the second one what we're going to do for the
potential client, and the third one a where now? kind of thing.  The theory
is that I can easily pull the client-specific movie and replace it as we get
more presentations.

All well and good, and quite simple, but he wants the movies to work like
powerpoint so that he can "page" through the frames.  That's okay, too.
Now, I have the problem whereby if you're at the start of the third movie,
and you "go back", I'd like to load in the second movie, and go to the
second last frame (the last frame just being an Actionscript to load the
next movie), so that he can seamlessly page all the way back to the start if
he likes (just in case the client has a question he thinks of later in the
presentation).  I know this is not possible, so I'm toying with the idea of
time you reach the end.  But I'm still not clear on how I would work the
situation I'm faced with.  If I unload say, movie 3 when they go back from
the first frame, what happens?  Where is the second movie on the timeline?
Can I go to a certain frame in a certain movie if they're all loaded?

I don't have Flash here at home, so I can't experiment, and I don't really
fancy the idea of messing around with Flash during work hours on the
off-chance that I get something approaching competency.  So any help would
be greatly appreciated.

If I can't do this, my grand idea of 3 separate movies goes out the window,
and it's going to be a major pain when I have to re-do the presentation each
time we get a new potential.

As an aside, how would I go about the PP situation where you can use the
left and right arrows to move through the frames?  I'm not even clear on
where the code for keyboard detection would go, or what it would be.  Any
help on this would be appreciated also.

Michael