[thelist] frames: I can't believe I don't know this

Joel Canfield Joel at spinhead.com
Sun Feb 24 11:34:00 CST 2002

>> No, I meant, how can I make sure people can link to individual pages
>> on my site (ie. my URL doesn't just stay http://domain.com as people
>> go to different pages on my site) Is it even possible? It has to be!
>
>Just as you cannot bookmark a specific page, you cannot link
>to a specific page! So why frames? They don't make sense to
>the search spiders either!

In the past, my evil twin used ASP with ugly long URLs to link to specific
pages. F'rinstance, if you had two frames, like this:

________________________
|      |                |
|      |                |
|      |                |
|  n   |                |
|  a   |   content      |
|  v   |                |
|      |                |
|      |                |
|      |                |
|      |                |
------------------------

You could link to the content page 'foo' with this ugly string:

http://example.com?content=foo

and with multiple frames, you could make this even uglier link:

http://example/com?content=foo&side=bar

But it's so much better not to use frames at all. Is there a reason frames
are necessary on the site you're working on? If you have, for instance,
taken over maintenance on a site that uses frames, it might be better to
negotiate a conversion to a non-framed site, rather than spending time
resolving this issue.

spinhead