[thelist] PWS as a Webserver

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:10:01 CST 2002

>   Just my few thoughts on PWS. There is always the right tool for the job.
> If you are just dabbling in website design, Apache would be overkill. PWS
> will work just fine.

Um... well, I fail to see how Apache would be an overkill or difficult.  If
you install with PHP Triad, everything is configured for you and all you
have to do is start the application from your Start button.

While your point about FrontPage being easy for beginners is true, what
about the rest of us?  Opening PWS/FrontPage/Win98 on a dedicated line such
as a cable modem/DSL line would be a quick and easy target for crackers and
viruses that are still roaming wild.

Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of potential security holes and am a huge fan
of php/mysql, but I would stay away from PWS/IIS unless you're either behind
a good firewall or are very up to date with innoculation/patches.

I also tried learning ASP/Access first... and gave up...  then came back
with PHP/MySQL (years ago of course) and found it MUCH easier to learn (with
the right book of course)

Maybe I'm also just bitter cuz I still get log files full of CodeRed
connection attempts.  Oh well.

David
www.confluentforms.com