[thelist] HTML e-mail problem

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Mon Feb 25 00:13:01 CST 2002

On 24 Feb 2002 at 23:34, Bonnie Bucqueroux wrote:

> A client wants to take existing members of his referral organization
> and sell them on a web-based version. So he wants them to receive an
> HTML email from him with an introductory offer -
> http://www.connect2agent.com/email.html - this link shows you the
> coding for the HTML email. (The code is HTML but you don't use title
> tags, for example.) Works great for me in Eudora and Netscape, but the
> client has Outlook and gets coding as text. I hate Outlook so I don't
> even have a copy to check it with.
>
> Anyone know what I need to do to make this work in Outlook? I would
> have thought that instead of coding as text, they would see the
> comment line.  Would specifying a DOCTYPE do it?  If so, what standard
> should I use?
>
> Hmmmm -
>
> Bonnie B

I think what you are looking for is to understand the concept of MIME types;
but for now, here's a link to a page that deals with HTML Email and Outlook,
Lotus Notes, Netscape, Eudora, etc. specifically:
http://www.florentinedesign.com/articles/html_email.htm

An archived article from Evolt for the same information and a bit more:
http://www.evolt.org/article/An_Introduction_to_HTML_Email/17/12455/index.
html
I think there's a few threads on the latest versions of Outlook also, they don't
handle attachments/file types the same as the older versions or something
like that...

Basic HTML email info from an old Web Monkey article:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/08/index3a.html

An in-depth explanation of what the "headers" are about:
http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html

HTH!

	Mark Groen

MG Web Services