[thelist] graphical representation of abstract programming co ncepts

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at kmsoftware.com
Mon Feb 25 09:01:01 CST 2002

Jeff wrote... "in my search, i've even gone so far as to research what some
of the more
common programming ide's use to represent these things, but haven't come up
with anything.  i suspect it's because it's not easy to do.  however, i
don't doubt that i've missed something in my search though."

I'd suggest a trip to your local bookshop or library and see if they have
any books on graphic elements such as:

Handbook of Designs and Devices
by Clarence P. Hornung

amazon url:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486201252/qid=1014648050/sr=1-3/ref=
sr_1_3/002-5499160-7303235

it's a reference book of little twiddles and doodley bits and bobs that have
proved invaluable to me in the past. first note down any thoughts and ideas
on the general concepts of the things you're trying to create icons for then
have a flick through the book keeping these concepts in mind. you might not
find exactly what you want but it sould give you a starting point.

remember, it's as much context and familiarity that makes icons
understandable as the things they represent or suggest. have a look in an
office package that you're not too familiar with to see what i mean.

hth

roger