[thelist] PWS as a Webserver

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Mon Feb 25 10:30:01 CST 2002

On 25 Feb 2002 at 7:10, rudy wrote:

> >Does this qualify as a FQA rudy?
> >http://rudy.ca/fqa.cfm
>
> hey mark, thanks, not a bad idea
>
> i'll have to give it a try and see how easy it is

Super Easy. Except download can be slow at peak times. After dowloading
and installing, reading the httpd.conf file a few times through is an education
in itself though, and highly recommended.

> i'm the kind of guy who won't install stuff like that because i'm
> afraid of it (been bitten way too many times installing stuff i don;t
> understand)
>
> so how do you test your ssi and cold fusion, i can hear you asking

There are installs for just about everything you could think of for an Apache
servers - they serve up the web after all.
I've been using it for learning PHP (much less typing than CGI/Perl!) and
SQL, so having a MySQL database as part of the package is a real bonus for
me. The web is about information and data IMHO and knowing the nuts' n
bolts basics of database driven web sites is a must for the future/present so
it's a natural to do it locally where it's safe first.

> "how do i test server scripts on my local computer?"
>
> rudy

Sounds like a perfect question to me!

Have fun with the safest/easiest way to say "Hello World" from a server.

Mark

www.markgroen.com