[thelist] Working in Europe

Edwin Martin e.j.martin at chello.nl
Mon Feb 25 11:52:01 CST 2002

Graham,

>I know this is off topic but...I work in the UK and I am looking for new
>work in mainland Europe (preferably Holland) - does anyone have any advice
>on making this sort of move (e.g. handy contacts, agencies, etc.).

Living in Amsterdam, I once heard about a website for expats.

Searching for "expat holland", I found a couple of sites you'll
probably find interesting (I'm not sure if any of these are the
one I heard about):
http://www.expatica.com/index.asp?s=0
http://www.housingonline.nl/

Also check out:
http://www.amsterdam.nl/e_index.html
http://www.werk.nl/extern/extern.html?url=buitenland

I have some non-Dutch English-speaking friends and they all like
Holland/Amsterdam. As said earlier, speaking English is no problem,
but if you plan to stay longer, it's best to learn Dutch. It should
be possible to find a job if you're skilled enough. (E.g. you're a
experienced Java/C++/C# programmer). If you only know PhotoShop/
Illustrator, it will be very hard, just like anywhere else (I think).

Oh, foreigners think Dutch people have strange habits, so maybe
you should be prepared and buy this book :-)

http://www.theundutchables.com/

Bye,
Edwin Martin.

---