[thelist] store locator script

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Feb 25 16:08:01 CST 2002

liz,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Elizabeth Hincks
>
> I've got a client looking to put on a "store locator"
> script on their web site. ...you know, the kind of thing
> where you stick in your zip code and out pops the stores
> closest to your location?
>
> Is there any 'out  of the box' scripts for this kind of
> thing?
>
> Probably has about 300 stores in the US.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

provided you have the ability to create a database for this user (if you
don't have one already), you should be able to build the actual locator
piece fairly easily.  however, the important part is to make sure the zip
code data and dealer data is all up to date.

keeping the dealer data up to date is fairly simple on the part of the
client, provided you give them a mechanism to import new master lists as
they have them.

keeping the zip codes up to date will require you to either manually watch
and record what the usps does with zip codes or subscribe to a service that
does that for you and provides a monthly recap of those changes.  the latter
is the more desirable, but will most likely cost you a small subscription
fee.  we have a client who we put together a dealer locator solution
(http://www.burley.com/dealer_locator/) for and they get updates from jay
computer services (http://www.jcsm.com/) in the form of their zip code
database (http://www.jcsm.com/subscrib.asp).

to address your request about pre-built solutions, be sure that anything you
look at addresses the two main questions.  who's responsible for the
accuracy of the zip information and how often is it updated?  who's
responsible for the accuracy of the dealer information and how often is it
updated?  if you can't find anything that satisfactorily answers both of
those questions, then it's up to you to build it and provide the client with
tools to take care of it themselves.

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/