[thelist] Announce: high-resolution map of Lower 48 United States available

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Mon Feb 25 17:18:01 CST 2002

 From time to time we wind up working on sites that require cartography -
sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

Of course, finding good cartography online is a huge PITA, unless one
is willing and able to spend serious coin.

I've been working on a for-fun instructional design project, and figured I
might as well release the first (almost) finished product:  a 4 color,
high resolution, GIF format political map of the contiguous United States.

It's at a resolution of less than one mile, and has obvious application
for people with access to Photoshop and its Magic Wand tool.

Despite its resolution, it only weighs in at 68KB.

It's at

http://www.io.com/persist1/projects/sketchgfx/us_map.html

Alaska and Hawaii will be added to the map at some point in the next
several days, when I feel like spending the time to clean up after the
resampling that Photoshop insists on doing when you apply transformations.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."