[thelist] PWS as a Webserver

Dave schemer at cyou.com
Tue Feb 26 08:26:00 CST 2002

Well, I guess I won't be up and running yesterday...I got the Apache installed
without a hitch and edited my httpd.conf file, then went on to install Perl from
Activestate. Thats when the trouble began. I have a pc that when I built it I
thought of all the cool stuff I could do to it so I have a multiboot partition
manager and a motherboard with support for 8 IDE devices. I only have 1 HD running
ATA66 so its connected to the appropriate connector with the special cable and 2
CDR's on the ATA33 controllers. The works goes through a Highpoint HPT366
controller that has its own driver. Anyway, after installing Perl, when I restart
the PC, it goes into never never land...never to awaken again. Finally, I do the
old F-8 and go into safe mode, rem out the line added for the Perl in the
autoexec.bat file and it boots up. Of course lots of freaking out in between. The
Perl looks installed but the Apache test with a test .cgi Hello World script does
not work. Perl looks like it is installed but the Add Remove Programs shows the
uninstaller is not there so I know its a botched install. I sleep on it..do the
same thing this morning and its a perfect match...fails again. I install the Perl
on another pc and it works just fine...I have tons of software and 384 megs of ram
and have never had this happen before. I also know about the version 2 MS
installer and have that covered. Anybody??
Dave