[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

Faye Tarzwell(FayeC) ftarzwell at fayec.com
Tue Feb 26 08:48:15 CST 2002

I have to say that although I know my stuff I get terribly nervous
during interviews...I usually do very well in written tests because that
allows me to be very precise in my answers. The interviews I have been
to felt like interrogations...I rather sit down and write a test on the
specifics of the job.
Don't take me wrong...I am good in a team environment...it's just the
interview part that really freaks me out...so in my opinion a test would
be more productive if an interviewer wanted to find out what I know....

 ><rant>
 >Over the course of the last year, we've had students from the local
 >college come to us looking for work, yet the only way they've been
 >taught to design is with the layer tools in dreamweaver. We've had
 >designers who believe the web is nothing more than sliced up
photoshop, >seen more bad flash than you can shake a stick at, yet all
these people >have got qualifications and have got jobs doing web design
that I >couldn't get because I didn't 'do' web design.
 ></rant>

<related rant>
On the other hand people with good work experience but who don't have
the right "qualifications (read diplomas)" have a hard time finding a
job. Although I can't call myself a guru in programming I can say that I
do have the right programming logic and learn fast just by seeing an
example done. I do have 6 years experience in design and I did know all
the answers to the questions Jay posted here but I still can't find a
job because most of the jobs advertized here require a bachelor's degree
in Computer science or something of the type...while I see graduates who
have no idea what a DTD is or how to manually tweak their code to make
is work properly get great jobs (which will eventually give them the
real world experience) just because they have the right papers...
</related rant>

Just my 2¢,
--
Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC)