[thelist] Hiring Eye Opener - Web Skills Testing (long)

Matt mspiegler at lightbulbpress.com
Tue Feb 26 08:48:24 CST 2002

I have some pity for the people being tested though. In some instances, for
instance defining the style of type, there is no one, "right" way to do it. To
apply a style to a text you could:

1. Use an external style sheet
2. Use an internal style sheet, defined in the head
3. Use an inline style, defined within the tag
4. Use a FONT tag.

I can imagine some bright-eyed and bushy tailed young college grads getting
stressed over which solution the interviewer probably "wants" them to use. It's
easy to say that one of the them is the "obvious" choice, but unfortunately,
there are still no rock solid rules for the web, only strong recommendations.
Who knows what their teachers told them. During a job interview, when stress
levels are particularly high, they might choose the less than ideal solution,
even if they knew how to implement one of the others.

Which is not to say such a test is inappropriate, but maybe it would make sense
to just ask them off the bat to do it in CSS, and not even leave the door open
for their using the FONT tag. You'll still find out if they can handle it or
not.

Matt