Liquid layouts and holy warfare (WAS RE: [thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing])

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Feb 26 16:52:02 CST 2002

aardvark wrote:

> personally, i can't stand to surf full-screen.... even at 1,600x1,400, i
> tend to have windows open to 640px wide or so...

I tend to browse with my windows full-screen or almost full-screen and
I'm on 1152x864 (an odd resolution for most folks).

I have no problem reading text that is very wide.  I do, however, get
really irritated when designs blow up.  That distracts me from the
content.  So, to avoid blow-ups I design liquid layouts.

I think that many, if not most, computer users figure out how to resize
their windows.  With a liquid layout, this puts them in control.  That's
a Good Thing(tm).

Judah