Liquid layouts and holy warfare (WAS RE: [thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing])

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Tue Feb 26 17:54:01 CST 2002

    | To retain design integrity? To allow a constant user
    | interface whatever platform/screen resolution? Liquid
    | "design" is (IMHO) a flawed concept when the differential
    | between available screen resolutions is so great.

I understand that this is exactly what designers should not be doing --
disregarding users' convenience and enforcing some kind of design
integrity or consistency that they feel is important.

Besides, if you are relying on non-liquid tables for design integrity,
you are missing something bigtime anyway. You can always force a part of
the table for that purpose (say a header <TR> which contains
navigational elements) and leave the textual content itself liquid. For
instance.

Shanx