[thelist] Table Alignment Problems

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Feb 26 17:56:01 CST 2002

Mark,

> "Height" is not a valid HTML table attribute, so any attempts to set the

    This is true. Although "height" is a widely used proprietary attribute
of the <table> element, it is not spec-compliant, and newer browsers may
ignore it.

> There's no point suggesting CSS for this, as you can't set the height of
> a block element in CSS either!

    It may seem that I'm targeting you for abuse, but believe me, I'm not!
    The fact is, you _can_ set the height of a block element in CSS very
simply:

div {
   height: 100% ;
}

    The potential catch is that the 100% is 100% of the object's containing
block, which can be confusing in practice.

James Aylard