Liquid layouts and holy warfare (WAS RE: [thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing])

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Tue Feb 26 18:13:01 CST 2002

>To retain design integrity? To allow a constant user interface whatever
>platform/screen resolution?

When I see those sentiments I read "To treat computer screens like paper."
It doesn't work. If I wanted a magazine, I wouldn't be sitting in front of
my computer. One of the reasons I stopped visiting Builder.com was I
couldn't stand to "turn the page" every 800 pixels or so. It's just too
tedious.

I've never in my life seen a fixed-size design that works in all screen
resolutions, IMHO it doesn't exist. It's impossible. So rather than waste
my time trying to do the impossible, I settle for the clever and try to
achieve a more elastic design that accomodates screen resolutions. One that
arrives in its assigned space, looks around and says, "Hmmm, if I move that
a little, and stretch this a little, I can live here comfortably."

Every design medium has its tradeoffs. The really creative people work with
those advantages and limitations and come up with something breathtaking
that you can't do in other media.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224