[thelist] Tables, CSS & HTML

Faust at LeeMarvin.com Faust at LeeMarvin.com
Tue Feb 26 22:45:10 CST 2002

On 26 Feb 2002 at 22:08, evolt at xemaps.com wrote:

> I have been a tables junkie for years. I've placed tables
> within tables within tables, sometimes 5 or 6 deep, for
> various effects (e.g. see www.treeclassics.com and
> www.holeymoleyhydrotools.com). I'm just starting to learn
> CSS and DHTML. Are these capable of delivering similar
> effects without tables?

I would not give up my tables for CSS for types of sites you listed.  Too many people
are still using browsers that do not properly support CSS.  See
<http://www.webstandards.org/upgrade/> for details.  I would still use CSS as much
as possible, but not for lay-out.

> I've believed that nested tables is a complexity that
> contributes to slowing page load.

It does. See Mulder's "Lean and Mean Tables"
<http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/98/43/index4a.html?tw=authoring>

HTH

Faust

"Those who have died in collective catastrophes are
first of all private souls, each of whom saw death
approaching for himself or herself alone."
-- Philippe Nemo, _Job and the Excess of Evil_