Liquid layouts and flash accessibility (WAS: Re: Liquid layouts and holy warfare (WAS RE: [thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]))

Glenn Turner gturner at ync.net
Tue Feb 26 23:53:00 CST 2002

At 08:57 PM 2/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Speaking of wide sites, is there an accepted screen size for Flash driven
>web sites?

not really an "accepted" screen size, but most pop-up fixed-width flash
sites i've seen are 760px wide (yes, i don't like it anymore than you do ...)

on a note related to the current flash accessibility discussion, i've seen
a few pages that have completely liquid flash design using percentage based
height and width. for a simple example, see here:
http://www.munchfonts.com/Flash/sampletext.html ... i'm not too
flash-adept, but why don't more flash sites utilize this?

and as long as we're griping about abused web techniques - when will people
stop creating full-screen/pseudo-kiosk sites [IE 5.5+ PC only - you lucky
mac users ...] ? it's stuff like that [plus the thousand of other reasons]
that convinced me to switch to opera as my browser of choice.

-g.