[thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing]

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Wed Feb 27 03:40:01 CST 2002

Fair enough, I was never into skateboarding.  But when
I was 15, I could barely walk from arthritis.  Nearly
had to stop school because of it, and certainly couldn't
hand-write (still can't), though typing was and is OK.

I'm joining the militant wing here.

If I had the kind of disability which affected my ability
to use my computer, rather than the kind I actually do have,
I, like a huge number of people who do, may become more dependent
on net usage simply because it is often capable of
transforming a person's ability to communicate as an
equal and without the kind of superficial communications
difficulties I/she might have in real time under normal
circumstances.

If you (not you personally, but generally those people
here today arguing that it's EVER acceptable to have
an inaccessible site) decided to shut me out simply because
you couldn't give a toss... it's not 'accidental', and
it's not 'incidental collateral damage'.  It's a deliberate,
calculated act of discrimination and hatred.

I wouldn't think badly of you.  I'd hate you, down to my
very bones and experience a deep-seated desire to barbecue
your bastard arse on the flames of your own burning home.

And in the same position, you'd feel the same way.

*Now* do you understand?

People better and more persistent than me got the law
changed in the UK and the US to prevent this kind of
discrimination.  It may yet prevent several prosecutions
for arson and murder^W manslaughter as well.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com