[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Feb 27 05:24:00 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Subject:    Re: [thelist] flash accessibility/usability

>> marketing.  maybe the html version was too design-heavy, making the user
>> wait too long for the content.  maybe the content in the html version
wasn't
>> updated as often.  maybe some key features of the flash site that were
>> responsible for a large part of the traffic weren't ported to the html
>> version.

>and maybe it's just because they liked the flash version better.

...which is not always a useful indicator for RoI. "Am I likely to buy" is
a better one.

I've cited this example a few times, but not sure if any of them were here.

A cosmetic company (or rather their agency) were testing a range of
cosmetics
to see which were the likely best sellers. So in textbook fashion, gathered
together
a group of consumers in the target audience, let them play with the range
for a
bit and asked them which they prefered. This proved to be a fair predictor
of
sales success.

At the end of the test, the panel members were allowed to choose a free
sample
from the range. Analysis proved that this was a *far* better predictor of
sales success,
so the testing programme then threw away all the questionnaires and only
used
the sample data.

They then did a bit of further analysis - the table with samples on was
being left
out overnight and the cleaners were stealing some of the product. Analysis
of
what the cleaners stole turned out to be the most accurate prediction of
all.

The guy who did this btw was Brian Thomas who went on to head up Saatchis,
and his partner was Drayton Bird, later Creative Director at Ogilvy. Anyone
here
with an advertising or marketing background will recognise the agency
names...

(if you want a longer, better written version, it's in Drayton's
Commonsense
Direct Marketing:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0749431210/martin043 )

Cheers