Liquid layouts and holy warfare (WAS RE: [thelist] Jakob Nielsen [was Anti-aliasing])

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 27 09:27:22 CST 2002

> From: "Peter Van Dijck" <peter.vandijck at vardus.com>
>
> > > http://algonquinstudios.com/
> > > are the content pages too liquid?
>
> They are fine for me. However, one thing that pisses me personally
> off: on windows you can resize the text of a site with ctrl+mouse
> scroll button. I spend a lot of time on the web, with a large monitor,
> and often, when reading some text, I just scroll it a bit larger or
> smaller because my eyes start to hurt. Can't do that on your site, it
> really is surprisingly frustrating. Peter

i chose to go with px as the units for now... don't know when i plan
to change it, but as i experimented with words (large, small, etc.),
percent, ems, and even no units at all, the feedback i got in testing
was all over the place...

generally some group of users had text that was way too large or
way too small... when i tested with px, *all* my complaints went
away...

so i sucked it up and stuck with them...

it's not permanent, and it's always under review...