[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Feb 27 12:20:14 CST 2002

At 9:44 AM -0600 2/27/02, Ben Dyer wrote:
>Now, all of the pro-Flash arguments implore me not to lump them in with the
>abusers of Flash.  So, how is that possible?  If I turn off ActiveX
>controls and plug-ins, I don't see ANY Flash: good or bad.
>
>Ergo, if the bad Flash developers drive users nuts and they learn how to
>turn it off, then you *are* lumped in with the bad Flash developers, no?

That's not the point ... whenever I make something that requires
Flash I know in most cases some people aren't going to ever see it
because it's Flash, this is a no-brainer.

My gripe is with people like you who will tell someone seeking your
opinion that Flash is a bad idea. Leave that advice for someone that
knows what they're talking about to give.

But from a previous post, I see you believe that anyone who knows
Flash will always do something in Flash if it will let the grab a
fist full of cash from a gullible client.

I suspect you feel inadequate because you don't have the energy or
ability to figure out how to use Flash, and you don't want to see
anybody else use it either.

Here's a repeat from an alltogether groovy post from several hours
ago in case you missed it:

At 4:09 AM -0500 2/27/02, Dayn Riegel @ NYAD, Inc wrote:
>Flash. Flash. Flash. Get over it. It's here to stay unless something
>better comes along that can do all it can do. It's here, learn it, use
>it or shut the hell up about it.
>
>Go ahead, by the way, turn off Flash, ActiveX, JavaScript, images,
>sound, text, power and sit in the dark. I mean, really... It's the damned
>Internet/Web guys (and gals!).
>
>I know, I know... We're tired of pop-up windows. We're tired of those
>damn, annoying full-screen ads for friggin' OJ and Coke. We're tired
>of this, and that, and some other such thing. That's life. I can't stand
>90% of the commercials on TV -- yet how many people watch TV
>w/ the volume off? Or maybe the screen off so you can only hear
>what is going on?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/