[thelist] Flash/Liquid layouts etc

Kathleen Heytink K_HEYTINK at winebow.com
Wed Feb 27 14:30:00 CST 2002

I'd like to throw my 2 bits into this pot, but from a different perspective
- that of a user.  One user.  This user.

I think as web developers/designers we tend to be people who work the web
when we're on it.  I'm sure some surf for fun, but I'd guess that most don't
- or they don't do it that often.  I know I don't do as much surfing for fun
as I used to do.   Mostly, I'm looking for a quick bit of information or
some news or something to buy.  I spend a lot of time on Google - my copy is
worn out <g>.

But sometimes I just like to kick back and surf around like I used to before
the web became part of my job.  When I'm wearing this hat; playing this
role, I like Flashed sites. They're fun - and now I'm here for the fun. Some
are better than others, but I'm willing to give them a shot - even back when
I had a 56k modem instead of cable.

I considered it part of the experience, and when I'm surfing for fun, I'm
also looking for the total experience.  The web is not just a book or an
encyclopedia with search capabilities.  It's not just a store or a
newsstand.  It can be a whole multimedia experience.  If you don't want to
partake of it fine, but don't shut down the fun for those of us who do wish
to partake of it.

If the internet only offered the format of Jakob Nielson's site, I doubt
very much if I would have bothered to get involved back in 1995.  Even back
then, I was excited by the possibilities this new communications medium
could offer.

Of course, I don't want or expect to find Flash on CNN or the NY Times, but
I don't mind it in e-tail site, if the site has been properly designed.  I
want a search box easily accessible, and save the Magical Mystery Tour
navigation for your personal or entertainment sites.

Flash designers and web designers in general do have to make sure that the
information or the "store" is accessible for those with disabilities - even
if it means designing two sites when the client wants Flash.  That's
imperative, but please don't stop there.  I want to see the pushing the
envelope stuff.  I find it energizes me and inspires me to stretch a little
further, or explore a new technology to see what it does.

I may be in the minority.  It's a position I often find myself in.  But from
my conversations with non-web design people, most like the bells, whistles
and flashing lights.  The business people might not appreciate it, when
they're pressed for time, but most of the ones I know will take a break to
check out a snazzy site.  And they'll pass the URL on to their friends when
they're through.

So those of you designing nice clean, fast-loading, easy to navigate sites.
Keep on doing it, but please don't discourage those who wish to play with
all the new tools.  Don't discourage those who want to push the envelope.  I
suspect there's an audience for both.

Re: liquid tables - which is sort of the same discussion - something old and
proven vs. something a little further out on the edge.  I like them.  I'm
one of those odd ducks who surf full screen 1024 x 768 with as little
browser chrome as possible.  I want to see it all and I want to see it at
once.  Sometimes I'll "restore" the window to 800 x 600, but not too often.

I don't see many sites with text stretching across the whole screen, because
most of the time these liquid layouts have two or three columns.  I do have
a problem with those old sites that have no margins and no table to contain
the text.

I also love Netscape (using 6.2) and only use IE when forced to - told you I
was an odd duck <g>

BTW - I don't work for Macromedia, I only play with Flash and Erik Mattheis
didn't pay me to say this.

Kath ...
work --> www.winebow.com
home --> www.cyber-kat.com --> topkat at cyber-kat.com