[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

Daniel E. Boen dan at the-plate.com
Thu Feb 28 00:33:01 CST 2002

> John, the question which several people have been asking is "If
> Flash has all these capabilities to reduce or remove many of the
> main criticisms of Flash, why don't people use them..?"
>
> I don't know if you can answer that or not, or if the answer you'd give
> is any more than the current suggestion that "It takes too long", which
> either speaks to the laziness/narcissism of Flash developers (ie that
> it doesn't take too long - they'd just rather create stuff that goes whiz),
> or to a weakness in the tool that essential tasks are difficult to carry
> out.

What I'm reading here (and in many other posts from Martin P Burns of
PricewaterhouseCoopers) is a lot of passive/aggressive, semi-accusetory and
bigoted, generalized sideswipes at an entire group of web developers.

I don't think that's any more appropriate to the list than what I'm going to
sling back at you.

Burns, I'm not afraid to tell you that most of your posts portray you as an
arrogant, smug, snot-nosed ninny.  You might be good at what you do, but
your opinions are so completely narrow that they fit into the category of
"does not compute", i.e., if you don't know about it, you, Martin P Burns of
PricewaterhouseCoopers don't know about it, it must not be worth anyone's
time. Quit being a jerk. And I'm saying that to you directly because I'm out
and out offended by your sideways, generalized remarks.  I don't think it's
an entire group of Flash developers who are narcisstic and or lazy. Don't
come back at me with any "I certainly wasn't categorizing Flash developers
in general" crap either.  Reread your comments and tell me they're even
keeled.

- You don't know enough about the platform to criticize it effectively.

- You haven't seen enough good Flash to understand what it is capable of.

- You don't have enough appreciation for the platform as a useful tool.

Sorry to the rest of the list for quote unquote getting personal here, but I
have to call this one up.  These are subtle jabs at people of my digital
persuasion.  I'm not bigoted or chauvenistic towards any web-based
technology that gets the message through, and I certainly don't knock HTML
or anything that's grown from it.  I happen to think the web is a big enough
place for hardcore geeks and more creative types, and when they come
together is when the web gets better.

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com2/27/02 4:22
AMmartin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com