[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

Daniel E. Boen dan at the-plate.com
Thu Feb 28 02:25:01 CST 2002

Steve Cook2/28/02 1:44 AMsteve.cook at evitbe.com

> Daniel, you are one of the few people I've seen who has decided to abuse
> this trust. Whether there is any merit in your post or not is completely
> offset by the fact that you stooped to personal attacks. Your commenst do
> not belong on this list and you will surely find that your posts affect your
> future credibility here. Believe it or not, most people here care about this
> list and do  not appreciate posts of this type. Please think twice before
> posting such drivel in future.

I agree wholeheartedly.  My remarks were not appropriate to the list at all.
I do apologize for every word and personally to Mr. Burns for my rudeness.

I did it on purpose, and knowing that I'd receive negative feedback.  Here
is why, as I wrote to the moderator who sent me a [due] scolding:

Keeping a certain protocol for the list, while absolutely necessary, only
changes the rules for being rude.  The message is always clear, no matter
how politely it is stated or if names are removed and insults are
generalized.   I found those source remarks as inexcusable as mine, and I
find such tactics to be a distinct flavor of some of the debate on this
list.  In short, there are many ways to insult someone personally on this
list without insulting them personally, and that I believe has happened
here.

Example: calling Flash programmers lazy/narcisstic/etc.

This remark would've gone unchecked/unnoticed.  Now I'm not someone known to
have a thin skin, but this to me is blatant mockery, as ignorant and no more
civilized than what I wrote.  The only difference is that it's directed
towards nobody in particular, yet it certainly, obviously pertains to others
who had posted in the thread.

I also found it insulting professionally.

Now the argument to this might be: well why didn't you post that in the
first place?  My reply  would be: because it pissed me off.

That's all the space I believe I should take on the matter, so I do hope
I've illustrated my point of view decently.

I'll post tips over the next couple of days, Flash based of course.

Thanks and again apologies.

"A witty saying proves nothing"
- Voltaire

Daniel Boen