[thelist] Flash/Liquid layouts etc

Mathias Hellquist mathias at daredigital.com
Thu Feb 28 04:26:00 CST 2002

Firstly, this is my first mail to this list so bear with me if
I'm saying something that someone have said 3 days ago (I joined
2 days ago and have been lurking to get a feel for it, ok??) :)
To make a long story short: I'm swedish, living and working in
London UK, and have been working with web since -94 (in London
since -99).

Secondly, I'm not going to go into the issues of not maintaining
a consistent look to the design, hehe...from my point of view that
is just bad design, no matter what the medium is.

For the other things:

This is of course only a problem if the Flash file is not loading
text content dynamically (via for example ASP/PHP/XML).

I also think that this is one of the "bad design" solutions (as in
shoot the designer/creator, not the software). It was quite some
time ago now that I built a Flash site with static content, at least
when it comes to parts of the site that has to be dynamic (or that
can benefit from being so). We even do sites nowadays loading textual
"static" content from text files if we suspect that we, in the future,
might need to change it from static content to be database driven
since it's very easy to adapt the site afterwards if need be.

What I'm saying is that if people spent some time thinking things
through thoroughly before using Flash, bearing in mind the issues
that have been raised in here, and how the end-browser AND the
"content-editor" will interact with the things, then you should be
off alright (or come to the conclusion NOT to use Flash).

In my position at my work, ie doing Flash among other things, I see
it as my job to tell a customer when NOT to use Flash as well...AND
to tell them when they can benefit from using Flash. And yes, I'm
NOT one of those who always say "flash flash flash", even though
some of biggest/most popular projects I've been in have been using
Flash it doesn't mean that it's the right way to go for all clients.

Too many people, unfortunately, promote Flash when they shouldn't.
Too many people also do all the "errors" when it comes to Flash.

I maybe should add that just about all sites we do (Flash or not)
comes with a CMS for the customer, to edit/update content themselves.
Since dynamic Flash in reality is Flash reading some scripting language
there is no change in how the user puts in data...only the way in how
it is presented...;)

I think Flash, correctly used, can enhance user experience and reduce
file size and I know from experience that it can be as easily updated
as any other site.

/mathias