[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Feb 28 04:50:01 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Subject:    Re: [thelist] flash accessibility/usability

>> John, the question which several people have been asking is "If
>> Flash has all these capabilities to reduce or remove many of the
>> main criticisms of Flash, why don't people use them..?"
>
>> I don't know if you can answer that or not, or if the answer you'd give
>> is any more than the current suggestion that "It takes too long", which
>> either speaks to the laziness/narcissism of Flash developers (ie that
>> it doesn't take too long - they'd just rather create stuff that goes
whiz),
>> or to a weakness in the tool that essential tasks are difficult to carry
>> out.

>What I'm reading here (and in many other posts from Martin P Burns of
>PricewaterhouseCoopers) is a lot of passive/aggressive, semi-accusetory
and
>bigoted, generalized sideswipes at an entire group of web developers.

Daniel

What I said was entirely in line with your own comment:

>what makes a poor Flash site?  A poor Flash designer.

You're right, though, I should have worded my question as
"If Flash has all these capabilities to reduce or remove many of the
 main criticisms of Flash, why *do so few people* use them..?"

>- You haven't seen enough good Flash to understand what it is capable of.

I've seen a *lot* of Flash. So why haven't I seen enough *good* Flash?

Is it
a) Because the majority of Flash developers are poor at their own tool
or
b) Because there's a problem with the tool which makes it over-difficult
    to create good Flash.

You seem to think (a), yet don't allow anyone else to say so.

Me, I genuinely don't know. If there's a third likely explanation, I'm
all ears.

Cheers
Martin

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.