[thelist] Quick & Dirty

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Feb 28 05:09:00 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Just so you know, Ashok, the bit in the middle of evolt URLs
with the title in doesn't actually do anything on the server.

It's there for 2 reasons:
1) To make URLs more human-readable
2) To make URLs more search-engine friendly.

It also lets us do a bit of tracking of how links get used, so
if I post a URL to thelist like so:
http://www.evolt.org/article/thelist/17/21724/index.html
or (even better) to an ASP list like so:
http://www.evolt.org/article/asplist/17/21724/index.html
we can see from the logs how much that drew traffic to the
site.

It also have the useful effect that you can post shorter links
via email which don't get wrapped.

That's a nice useful script btw. I've dropped into <tip> tags
below so our Tip Harvester picks it up and attributes it to
you.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org