[thelist] how to plan a working day?

Nick Wilson nick at explodingnet.com
Thu Feb 28 06:33:00 CST 2002

* and then Richard Bennett declared....
> Are there any tips or resources out there on planning a working day, with
> something so unpredictable as software developing, and combining this with
> being involved in evolt-like communities, other forms of self-study, and
> phonecalls/paperwork/housevisits.

Don't know about resources but my current method seems to work pretty
well:

Every day, after I've spent no more than an hour in email and checking
some sites I visit everyday I make a list of what needs to be done that
day.

That list *most* contain several items that will not directly earn me
money.

*   Feed the ducks/and or take some exercise // to keep me sane
*   Talk to at least one other human being other than my wife /7 so as I
    don't become a complete recluse!
*   Do either some webwork on my own site or learn something new.

The rest of list is prioritized around what will make sure there is food
on the table at the end of the day.

I tick the list items off one by one but keep them in the file so that
at the end of each day I can check what I've done and plan the next.
Having stuff written down helps *alot* and seeing what you've done each
day also builds a sense of direction and purpose.

> I find sometimes I do 12 hour days, without seeming to get very much
> done in the end...

Only 12hrs? :)

> As an independent, I find it important to be involved in the net, to
> stay informed, and to keep on learning things, but if I had to pay me,
> I'd prefer my computer not to have internet access.

Set times when you allow your self to do these things like befor work,
at lunch and after dinner. Put a time limit on it too.

> How does your employer feel about you spending time reading 150 evolt mails
> a day?

Well, you don't actually *read* 150 a day do you?
- --
 www.explodingnet.com   |    Projects, Forums and
                        +    Articles for website owners
- -- Nick Wilson --     |    and designers.