[thelist] NeoPlanet and Opera

Shoshannah Forbes xslf at xslf.com
Thu Feb 28 06:48:01 CST 2002

> Then I opened this page with different browsers. The result of the
> script was as following:
> For Internet Explorer:         "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
> For Netscape Navigator:    "Netscape"
> For NeoPlanet:                  "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
> For Opera:                         "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
> Note that the script returned "Microsoft Internet Explorer" in both
> NeoPlanet and Opera. I am wondering, Why?

It has been a while since I used neoPlanet, but I recall that it was
actually an advanced "skin" that sat on top of IE/NS engine (depends how you
installed it). So you will get the reporting of the real engine below and
not neo Planet.

Re Opera-- some  version of Opera (and iCab for that matter) by default
identify themselves as IE in order to get around all those websites with
broken browser sniffers who think that only IE/NS can do CSS or JavaScript
(or worse- sites who block out people who do not use IE).

Regards,
Shoshannah Forbes
http://www.xslf.com