[thelist] flash accessibility/usability

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Thu Feb 28 07:02:01 CST 2002

> I've seen a *lot* of Flash. So why haven't I seen enough *good* Flash?
>
> a) Because the majority of Flash developers are poor at their own tool
> or
> b) Because there's a problem with the tool which makes it over-difficult
>     to create good Flash.
>
> Me, I genuinely don't know. If there's a third likely explanation, I'm
> all ears.
>
> Martin

I REALLY didn't want to get into this, but perhaps we are coming to a point.
There IS a third likely explanation, similar to your point b):

c) Because there's a problem with the tool which makes it over-EASY to
create BAD Flash.

I keenly remember my first Flash production. I will spare you all the burden
of knowing where it now lives, lest ye be tempted to punish yourselves with
its ugliness. Took me about an hour actually - that's right, an hour to
build a creation so dauntingly bloated and gratuitous that it stopped the
fastest of cable modem users dead in their tracks.

It was WAY TOO EASY to make something really bad. I learned a little bit
about it and how to do better work, and coincidentally, I now rarely use it.
Not because it's bad, but because I have little use for it most of the time.

But beware - more BAD FLASH could come from my workstation soon, so wear
your blinders, everyone!

BH