[thelist] mysql database being vaporized?

Eric Bogs lists at bo.gs
Thu Feb 28 07:10:01 CST 2002

Hiya,

I recently deployed a site using a MySQL/PHP database & scripts to
handle user login & user profiles.  We tested the site for a week or so
after moving it onto a new [Mac OSX] server with no problems.  Once we
"flipped the switch" and the site went live, after a few hours the MySQL
database completely disappeared and eventually the MySQL process died.

The site traffic wasn't large by any stretch of the imagination (a few
hundred users), and performance of the site and the scripts seemed to be
okay.  I could understand the scripts barfing, or data being corrupted,
but I can't explain why the entire MySQL database (the parent of all the
tables) would disappear full stop.  Any ideas?  A hacker possibly?

-Eric