[thelist] Web site statistics

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Feb 28 10:31:03 CST 2002

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
<<From: "Andrew Moore" <amoore at mooresystems.com>
<<I have noticed that for my PDF files there are almost always more than
<<one hit assiciated with what I would consider one 'view' of the document.
<<I'm not sure if this is an artifact of the behavior of the user or
<<some problem with my server, though.

There's a MS knowledge-base report about this behaviour, apparently the IE
plugininterface will cause 3 (sometimes 2) calls to the server to be made
for each page request.
This affects the PDF and SVG plugin - I'm not sure about others...
This wasn't on my list today, but I could find the KB if needed.

I guess that's why many sites make you pass through a gateway to download a
file, logging that will be more accurate.

Cheers,
Richard.