[thelist] Pros and Cons of a DSN connection x a DSN-less?

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Thu Feb 28 11:24:03 CST 2002

>Keep the DSN-less connection code in a file. Keep that file below the site
>root. Then, the only way they can get at that information (assuming your
>webserver is patched and secured) is to gain control of the machine
>itself. And, if that happens, I think the connection information is the
>least of your problem.
>
>DSN-less connections are stored in files.
>DSNs are stored in the registry (I'm about 99.9% sure, anyways)

A little bit of confusion here. I thought that a DSN-less connection was
one that does not use DSN. Not one that uses
DSN information stored on a file. Wouldn't that be like using DSN? Here is
an example of a DSN-less connection string :

Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
oConn.Open("DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" &
Server.MapPath("\path\to\my\database.mdb"))

[ snippity snip ]