[thelist] Zope - opinions

Eöl eol1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 13:06:01 CST 2002

Hello everybody,

Recently an outside contractor came in and recommended
we move to Zope for our departmental site.  The site
is mainly static with minor updates done monthly.

Currently I (the system admin) and a staff member
(doubles as the webmaster) develop all pages (I use
vim, she uses GoLive) and upload them via ftp.  This
system works fine and has been for years.

We have a new director and she imagines that we should
be able to move minor updating to our data entry
people.  Zope was recommended as it provides content
management without the person knowing code but I
personally feel it is just as easy to tell the person
to just open up the content.ext file and edit it in
notepad.

Current setup is header.php menu.php content.php
footer.php with content.php varing on each page and
menu.php creating itself based on content.php
contents.  I find easy to just explain to data entry
people to just edit content.php but the new director
isn't so sure on this.

While I understand the usage of zope (and it is a good
sytem) for dynamic content that changes regular and
requires tracking, I just don't see need for it in my
situation.

So basically, I am jsut looking to gather some
opinions on Zope.

cheers,

Eöl

=====
Never underestimate the extent of human stupidity.
De Opresso Liber