[thelist] List admin post, please read. (was: working day?)

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Feb 28 13:32:01 CST 2002

I don't know why, but over the past week, there has been a blatant
disregard about off-topic posting to this list.

Including a TIP in your post doesn't make it OK for you to post
offtopic. A TIP should only be used when you roam offtopic from an
*ONTOPIC* thread, not for when you just want to post some sort of
bullshit. Ok? Don't cheapen them.

Second, if you're just posting to thelist to hear yourself talk, or
because you think you've got some ultra-super point of view on a subject
that everyone should hear, don't. Most of the time, people don't give a
shit about you waxing poetic. If someone asks a question, it's not your
place to go off on a tangent about how they're doing something wrong, or
why you think what they're asking about is inaccessable/wrong/whatever.
I've been guilty of it to in the last Flash thread, which is a good
example. If you've just gotta get your opinion out there, write it up as
an article and submit it to evolt's Commentary section.

If you have a bone to pick with someone, flame them offlist.

Don't *EVER* include religion/politics/abortion matters in a post to
this list. No tip makes up for that. If you think you've got something
to say, send it to thechat list http://lists.evolt.org/listinfo/thechat
- NOT here. If I start seeing people including little religous barbs or
similar behavior like Scott does below, I'll start holding posts from
you, plain and simple. Ok?

Read the archives before you post. http://lists.evolt.org/archive - this
goes for old timers too. 3 years of web development talk is there for
you to use, and chances are your question has already been answered.. Twice.

This isn't a bulliten board. It's not IRC or an IM. It's a web
development mailing list thats *damn* good. Do your part to keep it that
way.

For new folks, welcome. I'm not usually this cranky, and we're not
usually this offtopic. Excuse both, and welcome to thelist :)

If you have questions about posting to thelist, please read
http://lists.evolt.org/index.cfm/a/listinfo or contact me directly.

.djc.