[thelist] how to plan a working day?

l a u r a *^* l y n c h cyberminkie at cyberwhirled.com
Thu Feb 28 14:19:01 CST 2002

Two things: Don't schedule things for a certain time unless you have to
(client meetings, for example, obviously need to be scheduled, but email
certainly doesn't have to be read at a certain time), and come up with
a  reward system for yourself so that you get all the necessary stuff done
(coding/design/etc.) plus you get to do all the stuff you want to get done
(like reading thelist). I'm currently on 7 discussion lists and filter each
to its own folder, so I just let myself read one folder for each necessary
task I get done. Occasionally, of course, I just don't have the time to
take breaks between tasks, but I try to make up for it the next day,
because (regardless of what the occasional clueless manager might think),
it *is* important, not to mention educational, to stay up to date on what
your peers in the industry are doing, both in general and with specific
programs (note that his can also be used as a legitimate excuse for
surfing, although not so much for spending a couple hours shopping on
Amazon). Oh, and further regarding email, do make sure you check at least
three times a day for things that might need immediate attention, even on
the days you don't have time to read all your mail.

l a u r a *^* l y n c h
design doyen @ cyberwhirled
http://www.cyberwhirled.com
ICQ: 1797450 AIM: cyberminkie