[thelist] Netscape 6.1, radiobuttons, and DTD

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at directvinternet.com
Fri Mar 1 15:09:18 CST 2002

Ward,

> How about simply not using radio buttons except in
> cases where there *must* be a selection? IOW, if
> leaving no option selected is a valid option, *don't
> use radio buttons* ...

Valid observation... to an extent! The question arises though, what is the
best tool for the job. When you say *don't use radio buttons*, I assume you
are suggesting using an alternate form control. In this case (as Martin
suggested) radio buttons are analogous to dropdown select lists. Prior to
this thread, I differentiated the two by rationalizing that radio button
controls didn't need a default option checked. I've learned that standards
require (though apparently deprecated) the default option (indeed a default
option may be selected by certain UAs) and valid reasons for including one.
This, IMO, makes radio button groups and dropdown select lists functionally
identical.

The only difference I can perceive now is a matter of visual presentation.
I.E. dropdown lists, while more compact, obscure selections and require user
interaction to reveal options. Radios, OTOH, are in plan site.

Did you have something else in mind?

Lon Kraemer