[thelist] Hey. My 2cents on flash/nielson thread

Stéphane Gosselin stef at cfusions.com
Fri Mar 1 15:25:01 CST 2002

  Ok. I have been doing small sites for the past... 5-6 years, on off among
other things as I also do some consulting.
I use php quite a bit, have introduced css over the past 2 years to the
point I'm quite comfortable with it ( though not a hands-down expert by any
means) . I just know where to find info when I'm stuck ( this list is one
of them! ), & get stuck less & less as my experience solidifies & my
code-snippet folder grows....haha. :) I have been watching this list for
the past 2 years, ( wow did it grow! ) & find it very VERY convenient.

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth to the flash/nielson thing.
I believe you people all overlooked the main factor that makes up this
issue: The users.

It aint't really about flash vs. html.

It's about user preferences.

Let me explain my point:

TYPE 1. I personnally do not care for a full windowed flash site. Unless I
REALLY REALLY need whats in there, the first bouncing object or 'boing'
gets me out in a clik most often. I've seen sites that integrates flash
wisely in their contents, making it almost seamless. FIne. Unless they have
a few basic mecanisms in place they WILL lose a few users, but hey. Adds a
great deal to the visual.
Now. I am fit in THIS category, I code webpages just about everyday & use
the web for INFO 90% of the time.
I drool on well thought out web-applications, sites with user-interaction.

Ok.

TYPE 2. All ( NO EXCEPTIONS ) visual designers I have worked with - have a
flash site as their #1 portfolio work,
     Enjoy a great deal surfing on flash sites, even if just once to get '
bedazzled ' & drool in front of an animation for a minute or 2.
      LOL :o)

Now, M. Jakob NIelson merely represents one type of users, type 1 He
feels  strongly that flash is superficial, & as with most strong opinioned
people that express themselves a great deal ( he's got a LOT of written
stuff under his belt ) you have to give and take what seems appropriate to YOU.
M. Nielson ain t god by any means. But, IMHO he IS an expert on the
subject, it does not take away his credibility on OTHER matters he  has
brought up in the past.

Ok.  Now. Once you know/feel the kind of users you are designing for,
obviously one uses the elements needed to cater to that cetegory of user.

  I never did sell a 100% flash site, & don t believe I ever will,  but I
AM guilty of having used flash on a few frontpages. ( sheepish grin )