[thelist] Losing the WWW

James S. Huggins (Evolt) Evolt at ZName.com
Sun Mar 3 12:16:01 CST 2002

On my website, if you enter a URL, ending with a directory, and without the
trailing slash, the server redirects that URL by stripping off the leading
"www".

Here is an example:

If you enter www.jamesshuggins.com/aitcom
you will go to http://jamesshuggins.com/aitcom/

On the other hand, if you enter www.jamesshuggins.com/aitcom/
you will go to http://www.jamesshuggins.com/aitcom/

AITCOM, where I host my site, has indicated that all of their domains work
this way. They have indicated that this removal of the "www" is a function
of how the Apache servers are configured.

They have told me that "at this time [they] are not able to correct this",
but that I am "more than welcome to research the different configurations on
apache to see how to correct this".

I am writing to see if anyone has understands the issue and knows how to
correct it.

Please be gentle, because I'm not a server guy.

James S. Huggins