[thelist] [OT] DNS trouble

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Mon Mar 4 13:24:00 CST 2002

Since I've moved my site to a new server at my offices in Switzerland,
I've been getting some emails from people saying that the "server cannot
be found". I've checked the routing and done a trace-route via a couple
of the links at <http://www.geektools.com/> and everything seems to be
OK - the URLs <http://www.mark.ac/> and <http://mark.ac> both resolve to
my primary DSN server. I can connect to the site with no problems.

Can anyone else see this problem and if so, suggest a solution? Of
particular interest is the result of anyone on the UK NTL cable service,
from where more than one person is having a problem.

<tip type="Moving to a new web host" author="Mark Howells">
When you're moving your web domain to a new web host, don't forget that
not all DNS servers get updated immediately. Some domains around the
world can take a while to reflect the new location of your site, so make
sure that your site is available in both old and new servers for at
least a week after making the change. You can check the current status
of DNS updates all over the world by using the tools at
<http://geektools.com/traceroute.php>.
</tip>

Thanks and regards
Mark Howells